Labels : Tronic / Funk n’ Deep
TO FIND ON:
DRUNKEN KONG is the project of D. Singh and DJ Kyoko. In 2010, the two started their project when one day, they suddenly decided to make a track together.
They have been releasing music on major international labels such as Christian Smith`s Tronic, Loose Records, Natura Viva, !Organism, Funk`n Deep Records, Unity Records and Beat Therapy Records. The duo have also been active with domestic labels as well, releasing an EP from Shin Nishimura`s Plus Records and tracks and remixes from Session Womb.
Their “To The Piece” EP from Tronic hit No. 2 on Beatport Top Techno EP Sales Chart in September 2015, and has gained a lot of attention/support from international top artists and DJs such as Adam Beyer, Christian Smith, 2000 and one, Uto Karem, Filterheadz, Dosem, Wehba Wally Lopez, Hollen, just to name a few. “To The Piece” was also played on the famous Drumcode Radio Episode 264 mixed by Adam Beyer, Tronic Radio Episode 163 mixed by Christian Smith, Agile Recording Podcast Episode 107 mixed by Filterheadz and DJ Mag session by Wally Lopez in September.
DRUNKEN KONG has been constantly active in the Tokyo techno scene, playing regularly at major Tokyo clubs such as WOMB, Ageha, and Air. The two have also started their own resident party “INTENTION” at WOMB, inviting artists such as Christian Smith, Nathan Barato, Arjun Vagale D-Unity, and Jewel-Kid.
DRUNKEN KONG has also successfully toured around Europe in the summer of 2015, playing in different cities of Portugal, Spain and France, attracting new fans with their unique sound and groove. They are back again in Europe and will be playing at ADE 16.
With their powerful DJ styles and charisma, the two are able to constantly amuse the audience and keep the dance floor going while expanding their ideas and skills to the next level.
Hello! How Are You? What do you have scheduled for today?
Hello, we are doing very good. Thanks. Hope you are doing well too. Today, we are very happy to present an hour mix. Its a live recording from our gig during our recent China Tour.
Please tell us a bit about your latest releases!
Our latest release is an EP named “Seven Colors” from Tronic. We are very happy with how things are going with it. We have had very good feedbacks from DJs and also very good reaction from the dance floor when we play the tracks. Really really happy with the result.
Which release was the one who gave you the most attention so far?
We think our release “To The Piece” from Tronic, which was released last summer, gained most attention so far. When we finished the track, we really felt that it had the elements to catch attention, especially the combination of the groove and vocals in that track. We received many comments and messages once it was released, and have heard it being played at many parties, podcast radio shows, etc. We were very pleased with how thing went.
Tell us a bit about your upcoming releases! Is there anything special planned?
Yes, we are working on many things at the moment. Once these start moving I think we will have some interesting releases coming up later this year or next year 🙂 We are excited for our next release, Funk`n Deep Records ADE sampler, which will be out on Sept. 30th and we also had a great opportunity to do a remix work for Tronic so this will be out end of October. We are really excited for this too!
You are a real upcoming DJ Duo from Tokyo. How would you describe the club scene in the Japan? Are there differences between the Asian and European club culture?
Thank you for your kind words 🙂 Well, we feel the club scene in Japan and Asia is very energetic. The scene has been growing these days, especially in Tokyo. New clubs are opening and there are more and more parties happening pretty much every night! I think its going to be an even more active scene in the next few years.
The club culture is pretty similar to Europe. Although people aren’t much educated when it comes to real underground music and we hope more and more people will be attracted by this techno scene within the next few years. We also hope more local artists and DJs will be recognized internationally as we have many good DJs in Asia 😉
What was your funniest or craziest experience while touring?
This happened very recently when we played at Electric Island Festival in Guam, USA. After the party, we went to a restaurant and we ordered breakfast. The food portion in the US is very big compared to Japan. The portion of the breakfast was so big, but tasted very good so my partner Kyoko ate the whole plate, which was very surprising. After the meal when we stood up, Kyoko accidentally hurt her back and couldn’t stand up from eating too much! She couldn’t stand and walk properly for 2-3 days! From eating too much!! It was the first to see her like this, and we both looked at each other and started laughing. Surprising, shocking, and funny at the same time!!
What were your TOP 5 gigs so far?
1. WOMB, Tokyo – We have our resident party INTENTION at WOMB, and we enjoy playing every time. Massive energy from the dance floor all night long, every time 🙂 We really feel something new is coming to the current Tokyo Techno scene.
2. Le Pigallion Club, Paris – this was when we played last year for the first time in Paris. The party was GREAT and continued until almost noon. The venue was really cool and the people just went off during our set. We were very pleased to see this.
3. Taboo, Madrid – We played at a place named Taboo last summer with our friends from Mona Records. The whole night, the party was off the hook and it was definitely a memorable night for us.
4. Arkham, Shanghai – Arkham is the place we usually play when we are in Shanghai. Love this underground venue and every time we have played, we enjoy it so much.
5. Ageha, Tokyo – Being the biggest venue in Japan, the dance floor is massive and this place fits 3000-4000 people. The energy from the dance floor is amazing!!
What are your top 5 tracks that are really working the dance floor in your sets at the moment?
1. DRUNKEN KONG – CHANTED (TBA)
2. Raxon – Elevate (AFFKT remix)
3. Christian Smith – Initiate Sequence (Main Mix)
4. Nakadia – Check & Run (Technasia Remix)
5. DRUNKEN KONG – Seven Colors
Thank you for your time and this interesting interview!
Interview by Lars
1. Eddie Hale – Resistance (original_mix) – Organism
2. Audiomatiques – Loose Control (Original Mix) – Loose Records
3. Andres Gil, Uron- What Do You Want (Original Mix) – Elevate
4. D-Unity – Holy Name (Arjun Vagale Remix) – Unity Records
5. ANNA – Where Are You Now (Original Mix) – Terminal M
6. DRUNKEN KONG – Our Lights Shine – (TBC)
7. Christian Smith & Wehbba – Tungsten (Original Mix) – Tronic
8. DRUNKEN KONG – Only Way – (TBC)
9. Pig ＆Dan – Lizard King (Julian Jeweil Remix) – Elevate
10. Christian Smith – Initiate Sequence (Dub Mix) – Tronic
11. Thomas Schumacher – Ficken #3 (Dubspeeka Remix) – Electric Ballroom
12. DRUNKEN KONG – Tech Dance – (TBC)
13. Audiomatiques – Loose Control (Giancarlo Lanza Remix) – Loose Records
14. Dema, Paride Saraceni – Crazy Circus (Original Mix) – Toolroom
15. Enrico Sangiuliano – Hook At The Border (Paride Saraceni Remix) – Tronic
16. Victor Calderone – Mole (Original Mix) – Intec
17. Charles Fenckler – District Two (Original Mix) – Soma Records
18. Eddie_Hale – Radon(original_mix) – Organism
19. Roberto Capuano – Complex (Cari Lekebusch Dub Version) – Unrilis