LABELS: AVOTRE, Suara, Lost Records, Elrow Music, Roush
Rich Wakley definitely has electronic music in his blood. An ever present on the house and techno scene in various guises over the last fifteen years, he looks ahead to the rest of the year with major excitement.
Across his journey Rich has played and produced a wide spectrum of music taking in the deeper, techier sounds right through to peak time techno. It is this legacy that sees him arrive at his current sound; a mix of solid beats and infectious grooves that is receiving plaudits the world over. Whether it’s topping the Beatport charts, releasing on labels like Suara and Lost or blasting out sets all over the world Rich’s energy is there for all to see. As a DJ, Rich has played many of the world’s leading venues such as; Tresor, Space in Ibiza, Pacha in Buenos Aires, Ultra in Miami and Ministry of Sound in London. He is also no stranger to the big festival stages having graced Burning Man, Sonar, Kazantip, and Exit festivals. Upcoming, Rich will be keeping his hectic tour schedule in full flow making a debut at Sankeys Manchester as well as his impending South American tour.
As a producer and label manager, he has crafted many chart topping hits, received continual BBC Radio 1 airplay and helping to launch a multitude of careers. With releases on AVOTRE & Suara coming up in the coming months his creative output is going to be as high as ever.
With another chapter about to be written in Rich’s musical biography we can certainly keep a close eye as this year promises to be another cracker!
Hello mate! How Are You? What do you have scheduled for today?
Hey guys, all good thanks! Just working on polishing up my new EP for Roush for next year. I’ve recently has some extra sound-proofing installed in my studio, which has improved the acoustics. So going back over some of my recent projects to check what needs to be improved.
Please tell us a bit about your latest releases!
I’ve recently had EP’s on Suara and Safe Music as well some single tracks on the MadTech ADE compilation and Kenja Records Ibiza compilation. I’ve also done remixes for Di Chiara Brothers on Roush, SEFF on Twisted Fusion and Kuo Climax on Avotre.
Which release was the one who gave you the most attention so far?
I would say it has to be the Lost Records release, Wolf Of Old Street. Definitely my biggest track to date and reached number 14 in the Beatport Tech House charts. I still get people asking me how I made the bass sound. The flip side ‘Truffle Shuffle’ was also my first track to be played on Radio One. Other than that it would have to be the 3 track EP on Suara which gave me really great exposure and all 5 tracks entered the charts, one of them going top ten.
Tell us a bit about your upcoming releases! Is there anything special planned?
Over the next few months I have EP’s coming on Suah Records with Russ Yallop and CASSIMM on the remix, another on Criminal Hype with Montel and Harry Ley remixes and a collaboration EP on Smiley Fingers with the Di Chiara Brothers. I also have remixes forthcoming on Warung Records and Baumhaus. That takes me up to the end of the year and I am already planning releases next year for Roush, Avotre and a special Miami mix compilation for Twisted Fusion.
As you are touring a lot, please tell us something about your experience around the globe. What is your favourite city or country and why?
I would have to say Buenos Aires has been my favourite City to visit so far. I was lucky enough to play at Pacha, which was awesome but it wasn’t just the gig that was good. The people I met and the general vibe of the whole City was amazing, not to mention the weather. I also managed to spend a few days there so I got to see more of the City than usual. One of the best things I did while I was there was a graffiti tour of the City. Would highly recommend that to anyone who is planning to visit. I’m looking forward to making my return there in December!
What were your TOP 5 gigs so far?
Puur Festival, Amsterdam
Haus 22 @ Sankeys, Manchester
Haze @ The Independent, Sunderland
Twisted Fusion @ Lightbox, London
What are your top 5 tracks that are really working the dance floor in your sets at the moment?
Rich Wakley – Hoodlum (Original Mix) (Roush)
Leftwing & Kody – Acid 16 (Original Mix) (Truesoul)
Raffa FL – Ready For This (Original Mix)
Max Chapman – Ghetto Beats (Truth Be Told Remix) (Twisted Fusion)
Fancy Inc. – Signs (Original Mix)
Thank you for your time and this interesting interview!
Interview by Lars
1. Kreature – Transpose (Original Mix) (You Are We)
2. Andrew Beat – Grown (Denis Cruz Remix) (Solid Grooves)
3. Luca Vallente – Higher (Original Mix)
4. Marco C – Dance (Original Mix) (Sousa)
5. Angelo Fracalanza – The Hot Beat (Original Mix) (Kittball)
6. Prok & Fitch – Tears (Latmun Remix) (Suara)
7. Mat.Joe – Strawz (Original Mix) (Mother)
8. Black Girl / White Girl – Play My Disco (Del-30 Remix) (Strictly Deep)
9. Monday Club – Bumps (Original Mix) (Alive)
10. Manik & MC Kew – Freak Your House (Original Mix) (Hot Creations)
11. Hector Couto – Parental Advisory (DJ T Remix) (Roush)
12. Brett Gould – House Music Is…(Original Mix) (Snatch)
13. Riva Starr, Gene Farris – Afterdark (Detlef Remix) (Definition Of Sound)
14. Reelow – Impassee (Latmun Remix) (Sanity)
15. Harry Ley – Axtion (Original Mix) (Twisted Fusion)
16. Supernova – Don’t Stop (Original Mix) (Lapsus)
17. Alaia & Gallo – Pushin‘ from the Walls (Original Mix) (Glasgow Underground)
18. Apollo 84 – That’s The Way (Simone Liberali Remix) (Incorrect)
19. Rich Wakley – Get Loose (Original Mix) (Unsigned)
20. Rich Wakley – Bumpin (Original Mix) (Master) (Suara)
21. Unknown – Unknown
22. Rich Wakley – Hoodlum (Original Mix) (Unsigned)
23. Solardo – Tribesman (Original Mix) (Hot Creations)
24. PAWSA – Twiple Fwet (Original Mix) (Solid Grooves)